As Bangor area’s top independent school, John Bapst serves day students from across the region and boarding students from around the world.
Hallmarks of Our Success
- In 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 the school ranked #1 in Maine in The Washington Post’s High School Academic Challenge.
- Over the past five years, graduates have gone on to attend 26 universities ranked by The Times of London among the Top 100 World Universities, including Harvard, MIT, Yale, Columbia, NYU, Penn, McGill, Johns Hopkins, Chicago, Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, Emory, Georgia Tech, UC-San Diego, Stanford, and the University of Washington.
- With more than 300 students taking art, music, or drama each year, it’s no surprise that at John Bapst art and music are considered major subjects, and that graduates go on to top music and art programs.
- More than 50% of John Bapst students are involved in a JV or varsity sport. Over the past ten years we’ve followed teams to the playoffs and state meets in a wide range of sports: field hockey, football, soccer, cross-country, basketball, cheering, ice hockey, swimming, tennis, track and field, and others.
Students at John Bapst Come From All Over Maine
Amherst, Argyle, Bangor, Blue Hill, Bradford, Bradley, Brewer, Brooksville, Bucksport, Carmel, Clifton, Dedham, Dixmont, Eddington, Ellsworth, Etna, Frankfort, Glenburn, Greenbush, Greenfield, Hampden, Hancock, Hartland, Hermon, Holden, Indian Island, Kenduskeag, Lamoine, Levant, Mariaville, Milford, Monroe, Old Town, Orland, Orono, Orrington, Osborn, Otis, Stockton Springs, Veazie, Waterville
By the Numbers
- Founded: 1928
- Enrollment: 510 students, 90% American, 10% international
- Average Class Size: 16 (core academic)
- Student/Teacher Ratio: 11:1
- Graduates Pursuing Post-Secondary Education: 99%
- Faculty with Advanced Degrees: 72%
- Ranking in Northern New England by the Washington Post, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018